Carefree, if only for a moment
The French charity the Mimi Foundation told 20 cancer patients they would give them makeovers. All that was required of them was to keep their eyes closed to make the reveal more exciting. The patients expected that when they opened their eyes, they would look beautiful — but they got something else completely.
This is so incredibly powerful. I love it.
On Periods: Let’s put this shit to bed right now: Women don’t lose their minds when they have period-related irritability. It doesn’t lower their ability to reason; it lowers their patience and, hence, tolerance for bullshit. If an issue comes up a lot during “that time of the month,” that doesn’t mean she only cares about it once a month; it means she’s bothered by it all the time and lacks the capacity, once a month, to shove it down and bury it beneath six gulps of willful silence.
Nineteen things I’ve learned before I turned nineteen.
1. Always carry $5 and a lighter with you (even if you don’t smoke).
2. Ask every person you meet how their day is going. Genuinely ask with the soul intention of learning how their day is. Ask the coffee shop employee. Ask the person next to you in line at Walmart. Ask your distant friend. Ask everyone.
3. Take many photos of yourself. Take photos of yourself when you’re happy. Take photos of yourself when you’re sad. Take photos of yourself because there are millions of trees in the world, and we all look at the same sky, but there is only one of you.
4. Stay in contact with your parents. Try not to hate them. They are the reason you have the ability to feel anything at all. Try not to hate your parents.
5. Opening your skin will not set your demons free. Open your heart. Open your mind. Open your hands.
6. Nobody knows anybody completely. That’s okay.
7. Be gentle, but be aggressive. Take a stand. Nobody hears your voice if you stay silent.
8. Respect everybody. We are all humans trying to survive. We all deserve respect.
9. Wearing black will ALWAYS make you feel better about yourself.
10. Always give tips, whether it be a couple extra dollars or a piece of mind. You never know how much you could be helping someone.
11. Change is the only thing consistent in life. Do not allow that bother you. Embrace chance and move with life, whichever direction it chooses to take you.
12. Smile often. Smile at strangers. Smile at your friends. Smile when nobody is looking and you’re alone in your bedroom. Smile when somebody is rambling to you.
13. Body image means nothing. Your body is merely just a seatbelt in the car. Your body is here to protect you. You choose the direction you go, and your body will not hold you back. Only you can hold yourself back.
14. Don’t hold grudges. Don’t allow yourself to hate anybody. Forgive them. Learn to love them for the person you never got to see them to be. Believe that a beautiful human exists in that person. Wish them well.
15. Drink orange juice. Lot’s of it.
16. Don’t allow the opinions of others to choose your destiny. We are all simply trying to live our own life.
17. Sing all the time. Sing off key. Sing in a silly voice. Sing like you’re on stage. Sing no matter who is around. Singing is breathing for the soul. Sing.
18. Take time to think. Write your feelings down. Write letters to the people you love. Texting is overrated and not as heartfelt as a nice handwritten letter.
19. Live for yourself. Breathe for yourself. Do everything in your life for nobody but you. This is your life. This is it.
These are some silly things I do when I’m sad and need a distraction.
- Make popcorn, and try to catch it on your tongue. Bonus points if you hit yourself in the eye.
- Turn on your favorite CD. For every song, draw a picture. When the song goes off and a new one starts, start a new picture.
- Open minecraft, creative mode. Dig straight down, then lay TNT all the way back up. Set it off. Go witness the caves you just opened up.
- Pet a dog. If you don’t have a dog, pet a cat. If the cat refuses, wrap him in a blanket and hug him. If you don’t have either one of these, hug your favorite stuffed animal and give it a kiss.
- Write a complimentary letter to a stranger and put it in your library book when you return it.
- Make a video log. Talk about everything you remember from the last month.
- Draw a picture of your dream home.
- Turn the lights out, put your headphones on. Click here.
- Make ridiculous faces, make a photo collage. Challenge a friend to mimic your faces.
- Read your favorite book.
- Take 1 packet of hot cocoa, mix with warm milk. Mix roughly half a table spoon of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Collect fortune cookie fortunes, tape them to a binder.
- Send 5 random followers a message.
- Write a message to your favorite celebrity. Send it, or don’t.
- Put marshmallows on a microwaveable plate, and stick them in the microwave for 10-20 seconds. Watch them through the glass.
Feel free to add things. Pass the list around. You never know who might need it.